Thursday, September 26, 2013

Me Talk Pretty One Day

This past weekend, I went to Murrupula to attend the opening of a library my friends built. It’s very hard to get large scale projects up and running in the short two years that we have in our communities.  The way I’ve felt (and how many of my friends felt) is that the first year is a learning process. You’re settling into your community, the language, the work environment; you’re also just taking time to get a feel for the community and what it might be that they need or want. By the time July hits in the first year, a project idea might arise, and then it’s full speed ahead.
But things still take time. Once you’ve decided on a project, found a counterpart that can take the lead, found funding, and generally organized, months could have passed. If you aren’t fortunate enough to find a pre-existing building, you have to build one. That takes even more time finding materials, finding skilled work, and then actually building it. Not to mention any possible permits and conversations that need to happen with district and city administration.

To make a short story long, it takes a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and time to make a big project like a library happen. So it’s a big deal to me when someone gets a project going. I’m supremely proud of my fellow pcv’s that have done work like this. There are lots of them, and I was lucky enough to see the opening of this particular library. I was even lucky enough to be the photographer at the opening. Here are a couple photos from it.

IMG_1585
a student reading at the opening ceremony

IMG_1641

IMG_1650

IMG_1652

No comments: