Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Golden Compass

After a whirlwind time on Ilha, then Maputo, then traveling, I’ve finally arrived on Mabula, and have been settling in and working away for the past few days. Since I’m not allowed to drive on the reserve until I pass the written and practical exam to prove I know how to handle game sightings and follow instructions, I’ve just been helping out other staff members with anything and everything. Most of that has consisted of checking on the family group of three hornbills here on Mabula, which has served a double purpose of helping me to learn the roads on the reserve.
As to housing, although I terribly miss sharing my hot little Nametil house with Adam, I have something completely different. I have a roughly 3x3m tent set about 100m from the office, which puts me just at the edge of camp. It’s wonderful; I have a bed, a field desk, and a camp chair, not to mention lots of space all to myself. While my tent clearly does not have energy, the office does, along with a full kitchen, bathroom, and washing machine, which makes life altogether pretty dandy.

I will try to continue writing on my blog from time to time, but I think that I’m going to convert it mostly to a photo blog. I’m going to be taking lots of photos in the coming months, and I will try to post some of my favorites. Only a select photo or two will make it on the blog each time, but I will probably post a few more to my flickr as well. So you know the dance, just click on any photo to see more.

Some nice sunset colors on the clouds from just outside my tent
IMG_2363

No comments: