Friday, June 14, 2013

Bombs Away

It’s time to drop the bomb. On some days, it seems like just yesterday that I arrived in Nametil to start teaching. On others, it seems like ages. But regardless of how it feels, I’ve been in Mozambique for 21 months. I’ve had such a range of experiences, from the incredible to the horrible, the mundane to the exciting.
But this isn’t the bomb. The bomb is that I have my close of service (from here on referred to as COS) date. Or close enough anyway. I have one of two days. And these two days are November 14 or 15. That’s right, you read correctly. I have 5 months left as a Peace Corps volunteer. It’s stunning, right? 5 months. 153 days.
But this post isn’t called bomb away. It’s called bombs away. This means we’re not finished yet dropping bombs.
The second bomb is that I will not be returning to the states right after I complete my service. Many people take this free time to go on a trip somewhere. I have friends touring southern and eastern Africa, many going to Europe, and one or two heading to Southeast Asia. I will not be doing such things. Instead, as some of you already know, I’ll be working for a few months on the Ground Hornbill Project in South Africa. I’m extremely excited about this; I think it will be wonderful work experience on a cool project, not to mention I get to stay in Africa a little longer.
If you wish to do your homework, here’s the link to the project on which I’ll be working:

If you only want to do the cliffnotes version, the Southern Ground Hornbill is this bird:
IMG_8642

No comments: