Sunday, July 7, 2013

I Am the Messenger

It’s a little early to start reflecting on my time in Mozambique and what I’ve tried, succeeded, and failed to accomplish here. Nonetheless, I can’t help but looking at a few things.
Adam and I frequent the one and only restaurant in town, which has a lovely, covered outdoor seating area. We go there for pretty much any reason under the sun: to grade, to dine, to have a beer, to get out of the sun. But one thing is consistent when we go there. We always take a deck of cards and the cribbage board. It gives us something to do while we talk and reflect on the day, the week, the month, our time in Peace Corps. Our conversations are quite varied, but a common theme recently is that we have one trimester of teaching left, and only about four months before our service ends. I would be lying if I said we weren’t starting to check out a little bit.
I won’t get philosophical, but we do talk about our impact in this community, in this country. As it is with any job, we see areas where we’ve done a lot, and other areas where we feel like no progress has been made. I’d like to think we’ve changed some lives while we’ve been here. But the names I would write on those cards belong to people that have pushed me to my limits and allowed me to prove that I can do some things I didn’t think I capable of previously.

We haven’t physically written down the names on those cards, but they’re there all the same. I just hope we’ve delivered all the messages.

Here are a couple pictures from my recent trip back to Angoche.
IMG_0916

IMG_0890

IMG_0874

No comments: